Appraisal and Performance Management
Appraisal and Performance Management (1 day course)
Are appraisals something you hate, do you avoid them?
“Performance appraisals are unpopular with managers and staff alike, but uncertain times make them even more tricky, writes Gillian Hibberd - If you asked any line manager – even in the best of times – to tell you the top three things they dislike doing most, it’s fairly certain that performance appraisals would feature in the list. In my experience, it’s often cited as one of the most disliked tasks and usually second only to dismissing someone”. People Management 22 February 2011
This course will help you conduct a good and constructive appraisal meeting that is a rewarding experience for both you and your subordinate.
What the course will cover:
We will be going through the following topics:
• Preparing for the appraisal meeting
• The talking ratio
• Listening effectively
• Giving feedback constructively
• Seeing things from other points of view
• Performance not personality
• Setting achievable goals and expectations
• Recognising achievement, acknowledgement and praise
• Building confidence and morale
• Handling difficult messages
• Asking the right questions
• Future development possibilities?
• Gaining agreement for future performance
We will also investigate the different models of appraisal s including competency, goal setting, peer appraisal, 360 feedback and self-assessment